Re: StepBox v1.2

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Re: StepBox v1.2
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 22:20:42 -0500

From: copal <copal@dragonhelix.org>
To: MJ Ray <mjr@dsl.pipex.com>
CC: discuss-gnustep@gnu.org
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 19:53:13 -0600

[snip]
i apologize if any bitterness came through, but i have a distaste for the re-invention of any wheel, especially one that i might has well have carved out of solid granite with my teeth. i scoured the earth (and web) for a window manager written in objective-c, and upon finding nothing, i wrote interface - for the GNUstep community. true, it's not on par with WindowMaker at the moment, but it won't come any closer if others duplicate the effort and ask questions that have already been answered at the expense of a lot of my own time. if the GNUstep community is to have a fully functional window manager, the best thing for us to do would be to combine our efforts, rather than compete (lest we end up with a VIM vs. EMACS situation :-)

 I agree that we should not have redundant work on window manager,
but there are always personal choices such like full-functions vs minimal-functions.
 The core (X event handling) would probably be the same,
 which we should all share with.
 Right now, I'm waiting for the rewritten of GNUstep focus handling.
 I'm also doing some experiment with the help of Banlu Kemiyatorn
 to see whether it is possible to use AppKit for drawing.
(Double displays is the possible solution for now without seriously hacking into backend).
 Once I can make StepBox work well with focus,
 I would like to provide the useful part to InterfaceWM.

I guess we can have two layer classes for window manager as GNUMail and Pantomime. The bottom layer of event handling is used and debuged by all window manager.
 The upper one is the choice of each project.

 Yen-Ju

Surf and talk on the phone at the same time with broadband Internet access. Get high-speed for as low as $29.95/month (depending on the local service providers in your area). https://broadband.msn.com