Re: Multi-lingual cut & paste support (was Re: One for our asian languag

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Multi-lingual cut & paste support (was Re: One for our asian language experts...)
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 20:55:21 +0200

Hi Kazu,

I almost fully agree to your mail. There surely is no silver bullet with that we could magically have a full unicode exchange with old X applications. What wanted to point out is that old applications (or old toolkits) taht only support STRING or COMPOUND_TEXT will be left out in the rain (A rather nice idea, given the temparature here) by the new GNUstep cut&paste code. I was not suggesting to revert back to the old code, but as you also agreeed to, support different ways at once in our xpbs code. Hopefully code that wont be used in the long run, but would still be there as a fallback.

Cheers
Fred

Kazunobu Kuriyama wrote:
P.S.
Having said so, if you have other reasons stronger than mine, or if there's someone who really gets into trouble with the recent extension to gpbs, feel free to let me know via the mailing list. I'll see to it as possible as I can. Otherwise, I'll humbly reply to you, "Update your X and recompile GNUstep with it. Ask the X toolkit's or client's developer to update the code to support utf8. To be sure, it sounds annoying; however, in the long run, you will get much benefit from it, which can be shared with people in
the open source community. (At least, it saves my time anyway! :-)"