Re: More recent CVS woes...

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: More recent CVS woes...
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:14:20 +0100

On Friday, July 25, 2003, at 09:54 AM, Pete French wrote:

Did you say you were running bsd rather than linux?

Yes, FreeBSD 4.8. What were the chnages you made ? Were they in networking
code ? I think this is one of the areas where UNIX and Linux have some
differences. One of the first changes I ever submitted to GNUstep was
a fix for one of the gdnc/gdomap type programs to make it find interfaces
properly under FreeBSd as I recall...

It was an attempt to make gdnc (unless -NSHost is used) private to the machine
(as per the apple documentation) by using the loopback interface.
I haven't had chance to check in detail, but I think I got it wrong ... and it just worked
on linux because of some oddity of the linux tcp/ip handling.
As we now have Alexanders unix domain socket code in place, it might make more sense just to use that rather then try to figure out the differences between bsd and linux.