Re: Checksums in GS

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Checksums in GS
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 21:29:40 +0100

On Monday, June 9, 2003, at 08:55  pm, Christopher Culver wrote:

I'm think about writing a quick little extension to GWorkspace that would allow a user to find out the MD5 and SHA1 sums of a file. Does GNUstep have any MD5 or SHA1 functions?

There is an -md5Digest extension to NSData.

If not, which library should I use to get these functions? I've never been quite clear on what exactly the GS philosophy on use of non-GS libs is.

Keep external libraries to a minimum. The more dependencies on external libraries there are, the less portable and harder to install the system is.