Re: better back-art support in core

From: Travis Tilley
Subject: Re: better back-art support in core
Date: 07 Jun 2003 17:29:08 -0400

--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: better back-art support in core Date: 07 Jun 2003 17:27:27 -0400
Having it's own font handling and having a completely seperate font
system that doesnt take advantage of system fonts are very different. If
it'd make sense to have gnustep take it's fonts from an X font server
i'd suggest that but then the backend would depend on an x font server
which probably isnt desirable. but it's the only solution i can think of
at the second that doesnt require a large amount of configuration to be
specific to the system you're using. since X11 is a requirement for
back-art it might make sense, and it would certainly be less of a pain
than nfont packages.

could nfont packages be used by X11?

also, it seems alexm has just fixed the issues with back-art that make
it depend on specific freetype versions. since he hasnt made an
announcement yet:

<alexm_> committed
<alexm_> back-art should now work out of the box with versions <=2.1.2,
and >=2.1.3
<alexm_> except 2.1.4, which is broken and needs a patch:
http://w1.423.telia.com/~u42308495/alex/ftlru.c.diff

it also seems alexm fixed the wiki so that it's no longer ascii art of a
penis. o.0

-Travis Tilley-
aka Lv and Aphelion

On Sat, 2003-06-07 at 04:00, Stefan Urbanek wrote:

> Well, fact is that gnustep requires its own font handling. Mainly because
> fonts are not used only for displaying, but also for generating postscript
> (and pdf) output. Therefore we need either some system-dependent gnustep font
> manager (which is not gnustep-back dependet) or 'fonts JUST for gnustep that
> are usable ONLY by gnustep'. Using only X fonts is not sufficient and you
> still need some gnustep specific management (to convert screen fonts to
> printer fonts and vice versa, and to get apropriate postscript font name and
> font data for inlining).
>
> Gnustep should either:
> - have a tool that will generate .nfont/.font packages from X11 fonts in (for
> example) Local/Library/Fonts/X11. Problem with X font management is that it
> is screen oriented (even you have type1 or tt fonts there).
> or
> - have following architecture (view the table in some proportional width font)
>
> +---------------------------------+
> |               gui               |
> +--------------+------------------+
> | font manager |                  |