Re: Fw: A PORT TO WIN32?

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: Fw: A PORT TO WIN32?
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 17:31:22 +0200

On 01.06.2003 19:46:19 Fred Kiefer wrote:
>Hi Hugues,
>
>Hugues Joly wrote:
> > I'd like to get the latest developments regarding the port of
> > GnuStep to Windows.
> > Is it still going on?  What's the timeframe?
> >
> > I'd like to know if there is any mailing list devoted to this topic.
>
>as you propably know the base part of GNUstep is rather stable on
>Windows. What is missing is a stable back end for GUI and a few minor
>parts of GUI that are OS dependent (NSWorkspace). The back end for
>Windows was a small effort I made last year to get GNUstep somehow
>runing on the only computer I had available while abroad. I stoped to
>work on it, when I was back home.
>So, as usual with GNUstep there is no timeframe for it at all. If you
>want to pick up the work, feel free to do so.

I think there will be great interest in GNUstep/Win once it is there. I
know of some Cocoa developers looking for a multi-platform solution. The
common approach to this problem by most of them is to pester Apple to
release Yellowbox for Windows. GNUstep in turn is perceived as "not
running on Windows" (GNUstep base doesn't count for them since only a
minority is developing command line tools, most development is done for
AppKit). So I think there is a lot of folks sitting silently there and
waiting for the redeemer...

I would say: Go for it!