Re: ctool_OBJC_FILES

From: Lyndon Tremblay
Subject: Re: ctool_OBJC_FILES
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 21:33:27 -0600 (MDT)

On 2003-05-20 17:35:56 -0600 Nicola Pero <nicola@brainstorm.co.uk> wrote:

If you want to create standalone (ie, without -base) ObjC tools, objc.make
is your friend :-)  You can try
include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/common.make
OBJC_PROGRAM_NAME = Nicola
Nicola_OBJC_FILES = main.m
include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/objc.make
ctool.make is for C tools, so it makes somewhat sense that it does not
support OBJC files.

Yeah, I knew it was a hack (:. So what about libraries? Should clibrary.make be changed to not support OBJC_FILES as ctool.make? Then, should objclibrary.make be added as well in if this is the case?

Yes ... in theory that is what might/should be done.

Or maybe it would be much better having a flag (for both tools and
libraries) which would turn off compiling/linking against gnustep-base.

Need to think.

Flags are probably the best route. I think when GCC supports -Frameworks, those are possible with plain objc, so using standard make project targets is convinient.

In practice, you are probably Ok for now with using clibrary.make - that
will not change anytime soon.  :-)

When clibrary.make generates the library, it uses debug and profile flags, so i end up with 'libPromise_d...'. Is there a formal way to depend upon a generic library name? '.._LIBRARIES_DEPEND_UPON = -lName', is only used by *library.make it seems.