Re: Horizontal menus.

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: Horizontal menus.
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 00:32:36 +0200

On 14.05.2003 00:10:25 Pete French wrote:
>> I know that i will be flamed tarred and feathered for this ;-) I must
say
>> I am astonished, this looks realy great! Keep your tail up and continue
>> your work, what ever there may come...!
>
>Yes, it looks excellent!
>
>> >3.) what goes in the app menu? what doesn't?
>>
>> on Mac OS X:
>> ---------------------------
>

>Actually what goes in that menu is whatever is set with the setAppleMenu
>method so the answer is "whatever the app puts there". I have a few
>example Renaissance files that out the correct stuff into that menu (and
some
>which ut the wrong stuff into that menu). It should be atken from the app
>thoug.
>
>I;d suggest you make it behave like YellowBox for now - i.e. dont have
that
>menu at all oon the bar, and add actual items to the horizontal. That
what
>genuine OpenStep does. We could implement the setting of the apple menu
>and your code could detect whether that is true or not and ad the menu if
so.
>That would give compatibility with both original OpenStep and also new
OSX
>code.

Please note: apple menu != application menu.

The apple menu contains systemwide stuff like "About this computer",
"Recently used objects" submenu, "Sleep", "Restart..." "Shut down" and
"Log out" (On Mac OS < X this menu was user configurable, that means it
displayed the contents of a folder called "Apple menu", subfolders were
submenus)

The application menu _was_ thought as replacement for the apple menu (in
MOSX public beta, it had a non functional, odd looking apple in the middle
of the menu bar) but the users wept so badly for their beloved apple menu
that Apple had to give them at least this surrogate it is now.

The application menu now contains some stuff formerly in the apple menu
(about application), the file menu (quit), the edit menu (preferences) and
the old application switch menu formerly on the rightmost side of the
screen (hide/show stuff). The application menu can be seen as a menu
controlling the application itself (while all the other menus control what
to do with the application) to formulate it vague.

One might argue if this is lucky design... but I got used to it.

>Which would be nice...
>
>-bat.

greetings, Lars