Re: KHTML in GNUStep?

From: Stefan Böhringer
Subject: Re: KHTML in GNUStep?
Date: 16 Jan 2003 07:39:15 +0100

I don't know about what API KHTML offers, however, the way GNUstep
should probably handle HTML was discussed before.
In GNUstep the Text System (will) offer all the functionality needed to
display sophisticated HTML. All that is needed is a proper HTML parser,
which also is capable of doing the layout.
This brings me back to my promise of implementing the HTML parser. Due
to lack of time only a skeleton is finished now, which recognizes basic
text attributes (bold, italic and the like). Perhaps I should submit now
to let others participate.
The only major thing needed, as far as I can see, is table support. I
would volunteer to implement this as well, since I have prior art to
stem on. However, I cannot promise anything here.

The second major thing is an internal API in GNUstep which supports
parsing of layouts rather than of attributed string. Nothing has been
devised so far. This is certainly a necessity for GNUstep since many
interesting text formats support more complex texts than can be
represented by attributed strings.

Best wishes,

        Stefan

On Wed, 2003-01-15 at 14:52, thomas@customercd.com wrote:
> What would be entailed in creating a functional equivalent to KHTML using pure
> objective-C ?
>
> -Thomas Cherryhomes / OpenMINDS Research

[...]