Re: GNUStep for FreeBSD 5.0 DP2??

From: Jonathan Gapen
Subject: Re: GNUStep for FreeBSD 5.0 DP2??
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 11:27:40 -0600 (CST)

> > BTW, check the notes in the FreeBSD 4.x section, there are ways to use
> > gcc4.x
>
> I've tried gcc30, 31, 32 and 33 - all have certain problems with them.
> In the end ther best (most stable) way to go is to do this:
>
> 1) get GNUstep from  CVS
> 2) Install gnustep-make
> 3) Install /usr/ports/lang/gnustep-objc
> 4) Re-install gnustep-make - now it will use the new libobjc
> 5) Install the rest of GNUstep

     This is your procedure for building GNUstep with gcc 3.x?  If so,
this could be the cause of your problems.  I found that if you try to use
gnustep-objc with gcc 3.x that a critical callback to register ObjC
classes with NSBundle as they're loaded does not get called.  That could
definitely cause a coredump if you tried to load a gmodel.
     I'm running FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE and gcc 3.2.1 built from ports with
'make -DWANT_THREADS_SUPPORT' works just fine.  Do not use gnustep-objc,
and just install GNUstep as normal.  Works well.
     (But has anybody got gcc 3.2.1 compiled on Solaris 2.6?)