Re: variable declaration

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: variable declaration
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 15:12:51 +0100 (BST)

> First let me say that I think this 'feature' is a step backwards, but
> now it is here and ppl will use it (esp. those working on MOSX), so I
> think we should have an official statement from the GNUstep maintainers
> in this respect which clearly defines the way to go...

I think Adam already stated that :-)

You can do what you want in your code.  It's a matter of coding standards
after all, and you are master of your code. :-)

But the GNUstep core libraries should compile with 2.x compilers as well
(there are people with 2.x compilers still around ... I do), so they
should stick to a syntax that both 2.x and 3.x compilers accept. :-)

> BTW what's the reason for not using gcc3 (esp. when using ObjC)?

No reason ... but no reason for not using gcc2 either ... if you have an
old GNU/linux system which you have never updated, you still have a 2.x
compiler, which works perfectly well.