Re: variable declaration

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: variable declaration
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 17:19:12 +0100 (BST)

> > You can do what you want in your code.  It's a matter of coding standards
> > after all, and you are master of your code. :-)
>
> Yes, of course you are right, but it will lead to confusion, I am
> pretty sure...:-)

I'd suggest that code which is part of gnustep (such as ProjectCenter or
Gorm or GWorkspace) tries to conform to the gnustep-core coding standards
/ guidelines, and avoid declarations which can't be compiled on gcc 2.x
(all code should compile on 2.91.66 and 2.95.x which are still very
widespread).  It's in the our own interest that the software can be
compiled with as many compilers as possible.

So, yes maybe we should add this to the gnustep coding standards.

But other code is ... free to use whatever coding standard and conventions
they like :-)

If you are using a 3.x compiler which accepts C99 variable decls, and you
want to use them in your own code, you can.  We can't (and don't want) to
control the coding style that people use in their own programs, they use
the coding style they think suits them better.

We can suggest them to use the same coding style we use in the core
libraries, but ultimately it's their own choice, and if they like C99
variable decls, they probably have their own reasons to like them.