Re: My observations

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: My observations
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 12:39:29 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

thanks for the comments - very useful

> When you scroll beyond the end of the text, the last line is stretched and
> is ugly.

thanks - didn't know - hope to find time to look into that

> There's a comparitively awful lot of ways to get to the start and end of
> text (one of which---clicking on the top/bottom of the scrollbar---is a
> reason I use GNUmail), but none to get to the end of text and a highly
> unintuitve and irritating way to get to the start of text. As far as I can
> tell, pressing Home and End, which normally go to the start and end of a
> line, go to the start and end of a document.

The default keybindings were sort-of temporary ... this has all been
changed, and now for the 'definitive' keybindings.  You can look into
core/gui/KeyBindings/DefaultKeyBindings.dict (latest CVS) to see what our
default keybindings will be like (they are exactly opensteppish).  Some of
them are not yet implemented (they are commented out for now), but looking
in the file you can see how they will work.

In particular -

'Control-Home' moves to the beginning of document
'Control-End' moves to the end of document
'Control-LeftArrow' moves to the beginning of line
'Control-RightArrow' moves to the end of line
'Home' moves to the beginning of paragraph (still to implement)
'End' moves to the end of paragraph (still to implement)

you also have the Emacs keybindings if you like them -
'Control-A' moves to the beginning of line
'Control-E' moves to the end of line.

> Is there some way to modify this behaviour so it's more standard?

Yes - it's all configurable by the user - but I'm still working on
keybindings so I'm going to change how the user configures them - please
wait a little :-)

> Cut and paste doesn't seem to work. The menu items are disabled and it
> doesn't respond in the traditional X way (select to copy, middle click to
> paste).

Argh - you need to select, then the cut/copy menu items should enable
themselves, then you can cut/copy, then the paste menu item should enable,
and you can paste.  Let us know if it doesn't work and if so, some way to
reproduce it.

> Also, is there any possibility of being able to select with the text?

Yes - there *will* be :-): Shift-RightArrow, Shift-LeftArrow etc - not yet
implemented, but will soon be.

> Sometimes in the last line of text, pressing enter appears to do nothing
> but when you start typing the extra space is put there. This is rather
> annoying for me because my enter key isn't too crash hot so I need the
> visual response to know if it's been pressed or not.

Ok - this seems to be one of the most wanted bug fix in the gui ... I hope
to find time to investigate it.