Re: NSPasteboard on X, what to do?

From: Dan Pascu
Subject: Re: NSPasteboard on X, what to do?
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 07:37:03 +0200 (EET)

On  9 Jan, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
>> X it is DISPLAY, and the pasteboard server should be set up uniquely per
>> session key.  If my understanding is naive, please correct me.
>
> Sounds very reasonable to me ... at the moment there is one pasteboard
> server
> per machine ... but I have never actually encountered a case where there
> is was
> not a one to one mapping between machine and DISPLAY (as described
> above).
>
> I'm sure there must exist some setups (corporate/academic?) where they
> have mainframe
> systems with multiple DISPLAYs, but I think they must be pretty rare.

You can very easily have multiple displays on a single machine, even on
your home computer.
startx
go to another console
startx -- :1
now you have 2 displays on a single machine you can switch between using
the Ctrl+Alt+Fnn keys (though only one can be active at a time - they
are bound to kdb and mouse and you can't send kbd and mouse events to
more than one at a time).

also you can even have multiple DISPLAYS active at a time, but they're
kind of virtual.
1. ssh to another machine that has X11 forwarding, and run any X app.
   ssh will use some machine:10 for $DISPLAY which will be forwarded to
   your native :0 DISPLAY. but from the point of view of the machine
   the app is running on, the display is different

2. run Xnest -ac :5 inside your X session (assumed on :0)
   now you have a new DISPLAY (completely isolated from your :0
   display) running in a window. you can start a new session in it (run
   wmaker -display :5 for example, or xterm -display :5) and you have a
   second session running in a window in the first session

But as I said X DISPLAYS are completely separated entities (they cannot
interfere in any way). for example you cannot select text in one X
session (associated with a DISPLAY) and paste it in a different session
(even in a virtual session running inside Xnest). they practically have
a completely separated event space.

--
Dan