Re: NSPasteboard on X, what to do?

From: Wim Oudshoorn
Subject: Re: NSPasteboard on X, what to do?
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 12:27:26 +0100

You wrote:
> Well, they are both displaying on the same screen of the same machine.
> If I was controlling
> the keyboard and mouse of the machine to which the screen was attached,
> I'd expect to be
> able to select text in the other persons app, cut it to the pasteboard,
> move the mouse to
> my app, and paste it in.

Ok, I see.  But in my definition I view this as a really big screen.
What I actually meant with screen was the X term Display.
(You see I get really confused.)

So to translate back.  My idea was to group by the X notion of Display.

> I think they should be using the pasteboard server of the *machine* to
> which they are displaying.  So you could cut and paste between apps on
> any screen attached to that machine.  This model assumes that every
> screen
> is attached to a machine - I know that that is not 100% the case in X,
> where a screen may be a dumb X server, but I'd suggest that in such a
> situation it would be beast to designate some real server (where a
> pasteboard
> server process can run) as the owner of that screen.

I am confused again. Are you saying that you want to associate the
pasteboard with the Display?   Note that I try to forget the implementation
details of the current implementation.  So where a pasteboard runs I do not
care about.
I just want to understand the term *all*.
After I understood that I am ready to think abount implementations
and security issues.

> I was being stupid because I allowed myself to be trapped into the model
> you presented where machines and screens are separate ...  the solution
> is trivial if you say that each screen is associated with a machine.

Please no.  A display is NOT associated to one machine!

> > Two servers:  A, B
> > Two XDisplays: S, T  (one user behind S and one user behind T)
> > S is running two programs P1, P2
> > T is runnint two programs Q1, Q2
> >
> >         Server A,         Server B
> >
> > S          P1                P2
> > T          Q1                Q2
> >

> > Now user S, selects something for the find panel, or
> > for copy/past in P1.  This ends up in the pasteboard of Server A.
> > Now S selects application P2, and reselects the find panel, or
> > pastes. NOTHING happens.   (note I am not talking DnD here)
> >
> > Afterwards user T opens the find panel or does a paste.
> > Voila, the content of what user S selected appears.
>
> If S is associated with A, then P1 and P2 should both use the
> pasteboard server on A ... and cut/paste should work as expected.
> The selection for P1 will appear in P2 and not in Q1 or Q2

Why should S be associated with A??? and I assume that you want
to associate T with B.  I really can not imagine how you want
to set up these associations.

Wim Oudshoorn.