implicitly creating custom views in Gorm?

From: e.sammer
Subject: implicitly creating custom views in Gorm?
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 20:05:56 -0500

all:

i'm working on a project that contains a number of NSBundle objects. each bundle contains 2 or more nibs (or models). each nib has been created in Interface Builder on macos 10.1. the problem is that in IB, i can drag an NSCustomView from the palette to the object window to create an implicit custom view. the reason i'm not physically subclassing NSView and implementing -drawRect: is because the custom view is really just a grouping of standard controls (specifcally, an NSBox that contains a number of controls). this view is then inserted and updated by displaying itself in either a window, panel, or another NSBox when the bundle is loaded.

after a quick test, it seems that one may not drag the NSCustomView item into the object palette in Gorm. is this "feature" something that anyone else uses? i'd rather not have to create all of my controls programatically. if i convert my nibs to gmodels on my osx box and transfer them to my linux dev box, the code compiles clean, but at runtime, it throws an NSInvalidArgumentException and displays the following:

Uncaught exception NSInvalidArgumentException, reason: addSubview: creates a loop in the views tree!

as a side note, this works perfectly on macosx...

any info or suggestions are appreciated!

--
eric.sammer
eric@lifeless.net