Re: Problem building from scratch... (SSL.bundle modification)

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Problem building from scratch... (SSL.bundle modification)
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 23:14:24 +0000 (GMT)

> > > rm -rf /System/Library/Bundles/libgmodel.bundle; \
> > > tar -chf - --exclude=libgmodel.bundle/Contents/Resources \
> > >              libgmodel.bundle \
> > >     | (cd /System/Library/Bundles; tar xf -); \
> > > (cd /System/Library/Bundles/libgmodel.bundle/Contents; \
> > >     rm -f Resources; ln -s ../Resources .)
> > > rm: `Resources' is a directory
> > > ln: `./Resources': cannot overwrite directory
> > > any suggestions?
> >   rm -f Resources
> > assumes that Resources is a file. Since it's a directory it
> > should be
> >   rm -rf Resources
>
> Ugh, I just realized - on my system, ./Resources is already linked
> to ../Resources. So 'rm -rf' would be a BAD idea ...

Argh - pretty difficult to make it work on all systems then !

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I understand is that on Erik's system,
--exclude is ignored but h works (because Resources is created, and it's a
directory), while on your system, --exclude is ignored and h doesn't work
either (because Resources is created, and it's a symbolic link).  On my
system instead both --exclude and h work.

My solution is on CVS.  I hope it works this time on all systems.  Might
not be 100% resource efficient on all machines though - but looks like we
should be already satisfied with having it work on all systems :-)

Instead of

rm -f Resources; ln -s ../Resources .

I'm simply doing

if [ ! -d Resource ]; then
  rm -f Resources; ln -s ../Resources .;
fi;

<NB the not-so-fine-point: On Erik system, this will *not* turn the
Resources directory into a symbolic link.  Erik will have a duplicated
Resources directory when he installs.  This shouldn't make any difference,
just take more disk space, because he's got the same resource files
installed twice instead of having a more efficient link, but still work
correctly.>

Please let me know if it still doesn't work on some systems or of any
problems with this solution that you might be aware of.