Re: GNUstep "open" tool

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: GNUstep "open" tool
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 11:26:37 +0000 (GMT)

> Concerning opening apps by name:
> I do not see any problem here. I consider it definitly useful to open a
> terminal window and then say "open App.app".

It seems people are quite confused ... by the different options ...
perhaps they didn't read what the patch was doing ... and thought it was
doing a different thing.

I'll explain again how I think it should work -

`openapp' is for invoking an application (if you open a terminal and want
to fire up an application, you type `openapp App.app', not `gopen
App.app')

 * to start Gorm.app, you type:

   openapp Gorm.app

   that looks for Gorm in sys/local/user/home dirs.  It finds it wherever
   it is.   This is how you start an application.

`gopen' is like clicking on a local file to open it.  If the local file
specified doesn't exist, then `gopen' should do nothing - of course -
there is no local file to click on.

 * to open the file.gorm in the current directory, you type;

   gopen file.gorm

   that *should* look for Gorm in sys/local/user/home dirs, then launch
   it to open file.gorm.

 * to open the file.gorm in the current directory using a different
   application (not Gorm.app but, say, Another.app), you type:

   gopen -a Another.app file.gorm

   that *should* look for Another.app in sys/local/user/home dirs, then
   lauch it to open file.gorm.

 * to open an .app file in the current directory, you type:

   gopen App.app

   that will *not* look for App.app in any dirs but the local one, because
   in this case App.app is *not* the application used to open the local
   file, but the local file itself.

   I suppose you would use gopen here instead of openapp to make 100 %
   sure that you are running the local version and *not* an installed one
   (say that you mistype `openapp Apl.app' might open an installed
   Apl.app, while `gopen Apl.app' will complain that the local Apl.app
   file is not there).

 * I suppose you might as well want to open an .app file in the current
   directory using a different application (eg, an application used
   to manage other applications):

   open -a ApplicationManager.app App.app

   that will look for ApplicationManager.app in sys/local/user/home dirs,
   launch it, and use it to open the local App.app file (directory).

the patch was instead searching the local file - but only if it was an
.app file - in the sys/local etc dirs ... which should never be done.

Some of the behaviour I explained might not be implemented yet (eg, the -a
option) ... patches to implement it are welcome.