Re: Serious problems with writing @

From: Martin Brecher
Subject: Re: Serious problems with writing @
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 18:45:39 +0200

Finally, let us know the results of your investigations :-)

OK. I checked with xev:
left ctrl is Command_L, left alt is Alt_L, right alt is Mode_switch, right ctrl is Command_R
(I have a German keyboard)

Then I used KeyPrefs.app to explicitly set those keys:
NSGlobalDomain GSFirstAlternateKey 'Mode_switch'
NSGlobalDomain GSFirstCommandKey 'Alt_L'
NSGlobalDomain GSFirstControlKey 'Control_L'
NSGlobalDomain GSSecondControlKey 'Control_R'

Testing with GSTest.app:

1. pressind Control_L + q :
   keyCode: 24
   characters:
   charactersIgnoringModifiers: q
   modifiers: NSControlKeyMask
2. pressind Control_R + q : same as above
3. pressind Alt_L + q :
   keyCode: 24
   characters: q
   charactersIgnoringModifiers: q
   modifiers: NSCommandKeyMask
pressind Alt_R + q (Mode_switch):
   keyCode: 24
   characters: @
   charactersIgnoringModifiers: q
   modifiers: NSAlternateKeyMask

What confuses me is the following:
in gstep progams I can use Alt_L + Q to quit! (but e.g. Alt_L + h does not work unless I also press one of the Control keys) Control + Q does not work.

Greetings,
Martin