Re: A killer app?

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: A killer app?
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 17:26:17 -0800 (PST)

--- Helge Hess <helge.hess@skyrix.com> wrote:
> Jason H Clouse wrote:
> > <<I mostly disagree. I don't need YASW (yet-another-shell-wrapper), I'm
> > quite happy with bash, yast and/or available LDAP tools. Having a
> > UserManager doesn't give me any additional value (indeed the
> > additional value of the NeXTstep UserManager is not the UI>>
> >
> > Maybe.  But it sure would be nicer than the RedHat tools.
>
> Who uses RedHat ;-) Try SuSE, they have nice and working admin tools.
>
> Note: I'm not against writing admin tools in GNUstep. I would like that
> to. I only say that this won't help GNUstep get more users.
>
> > <<What I miss on Linux are productivity applications done in a
> > consistent, interoperable manner. Diagram, OpenWrite, Improv, Mail,
> > OmniWeb, WetPaint and for development, IB, PB.>>
> >
> > How true.  Unfortunately, I hear that it's difficult to get OpenStep
> > developers to port their software.  Isn't there any way we can put some
> > pressure on Omni or something?  We *at least* need a decent web browser.
> > I'm getting really sick of Netscape 4.7.
>
> I'm pretty sure that if an OpenStep application (better: MacOSX
> application) would 'just-compile' as is, most OpenStep developer would
> port quickly. Right now it still would take significant time to do so
> (and probably expose loads of bugs) and I guess eg OmniGroup just don't
> have that time and a different focus anyway.

I have taken a few OpenStep applications and *just compiled* them using
GNUstep. The biggest problem is not the code, but the nib files.  I've got a
version of FreeSpace almost working.   The only reason I haven't released it is
1) I don't feel it's ready since I haven't finished the nibs for it 2) I don't
have a great deal of spare time and 3) I've got a few other things I'm doing
for GNUstep which are more important.

I ported the Chronographer library which almost no changes.  I also start on a
port for the Sen:te CVL application.  Although I was able to port SenFoundation
and SenTestingKit, I am having problems compling the SenOyster library because
of some non-portable (read not OPENSTEP) code which depends on the perl.h and
EXTERN.h header files.

> Regarding the Web-Browser: A small browser object/view would be fine,
> but IMHO it is more important to plugin/reuse Mozilla/Gecko. You are not
> going to write a usable browser in reasonable time (BTW: I don't really
> consider OmniWeb *that* usable, IE is far better !).
> BTW: this is true for a text-editor as well -> plugin XEmacs :-)
>
> BTW2: since some month there is also 'OmniGraffle', which is a diagram
> clone for MacOSX. Would be cool if this could be ported to GNUstep ;-)
>
> Greetings
>   Helge
> --
> SKYRIX Software AG  http://www.skyrix.com/
> Join the team:      http://www.skyrix.com/de/jobs/index.html

=====
Gregory John Casamento           Sr. Software Engineer