Re: Misc. comments

From: Malmberg
Subject: Re: Misc. comments
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 01:06:33 +0100

[snip]
> NSImage is able  to handle pictures defined in  several ways. We could
> store  thes small pictures  and icons,  in NSImages  with a  couple of
> bitmap  representation  with different  resolutions,  and a  vectorial
> representation of  higher resolutions. The  problem is to  define them
> and store them in our resource files.

Vector based images would be nice. Is there any good, somewhat
standardized format that could be used. For bitmaps, in the short term
it'll do to draw them smaller than everything else (the main problem
with high resolutions is text), though scaling would be nice (and it
seems to me that NSCachedImageRep should be able to cache a scaled
version of the bitmap, so performance shouldn't suffer).

> Also, with the  current scheme where it's the  window manager who does
> the drawing of  the window adornments, part of  the problem belongs to
> the window  manager too. With WindowMaker,  we can change  the size of
> the icons in  WPrefs.app. However, it seems that  it's not possible to
> change the  font/fontsize used for window titles  and WindowMaker menu
> (at least, I can't find it in WPrefs).

It can be done from (IIRC) ~/GNUstep/Defaults/WMGlobal . Menus and
titlebars look OK, but most dialogs become messed up when the text won't
fit.

> Right now,  the application can  quite easily "zoom" the  GUI elements
> inside its windows. It would be better if it was handled by the AppKit
> for all the applications, by default.
>
> --
> __Pascal Bourguignon__    PGP Key ID:      0xEF5E9966                     (o_
> mailto:pjb@imaginet.fr    PGP fingerprint: 00 F5 7B DB CA 51 8A AD 04 5B  //\
> http://informatimago.free.fr/index         6C DE 32 60 16 8E EF 5E 99 66  V_/
>
> () Join the ASCII ribbon campaign against html email and Microsoft
> attachments.
> /\ Software patents are endangering the computer industry all around the
> world.
>    Join the LPF:     http://lpf.ai.mit.edu/
> http://petition.eurolinux.org/

- Alexander Malmberg