Re: Reasons for a GStep windowmanager

From: Philippe C . D . Robert
Subject: Re: Reasons for a GStep windowmanager
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 19:37:16 +0100

Gregory Casamento <borgheron@yahoo.com> wrote (Sat, 6 Jan 2001 10:07:33 -0800
(PST)):
> The idea was that it would be easier to have a GNUstep based window manager
> which would integrate w/ GNUstep apps seamlessly.   As it turns out there is
> not any real need for a GNUstep based window manager.   WindowMaker provides
> all the capabilities necessary for GNUstep.

This is IMHO not the case. WindowMaker does offer almost nothing which makes
GNUstep *feel* like NEXTSTEP - which is the task of a GS window manager! WM
does a great job to make X11 *look* like NEXTSTEP, but it does not offer really
good integration with GS (how can it, there is not yet a GS
environment...*grin*). Right now, I can have almost the same amount of 'GS
integration' with almost any other window manager out there...

<slightly disappointed>
I always hoped that the WM team will try to provide more GS awarness shipping
with WM (now that the foundation is really usable and stable), but somehow
(from my point of view), this never happened - I even donated an OPENSTEP Dev
package to them, but it seems they have different priorities.
</slightly disappointed>

> I, personally, think what we need is a GNUstep based environment.   A Dock, a
> preferences application, some system admin tools, a terminal application, and
> etc.

Exactly - but IMHO such an environment can only be superior to any other
desktops (on X11) if it provides the unique feel of NEXTSTEP. WindowMaker isn't
IMHO of great use for that w/o major changes and additions. The argument that
one can disable a lot of functions (clip, dock etc.) is a no-go to me, since
the default RPMs found and used in most distros are not compiled like that and
never will be. Thus for the midterm planning we should IMHO definitly think of
our own GS window manager (based on WM or any other window manager, implemented
in the standard WM or just sth completely new, I dont care as long as it serves
the needs of GS). For the short term, WM (or also other window managers) does a
good job, of course.

cheers, Phil
--
Philippe C.D. Robert | http://www.nice.ch/~phip/