[Discuss-gnuradio] Selecting the precise sampling point from many sample

From: Carlo Manfredini
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Selecting the precise sampling point from many samples
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2018 21:24:26 +1000

Hello,
I have a 2kbps bipolar data stream (in hardware) which I will sample at 48kSps and bring into GR.
Once in GR, I wish to be able to sample only once per bit...so I use the "Keep 1 in N" block (where N=24) and this reduces my rate to 2kSps...with 1 sample per original data bit.

However, I wish to be able to control exactly at which point in the 48kSps stream that I sample down to 2kSps.

This is equivalent in hardware terms to being able to select at which point in each bit period that I sample once per bit.ie: selecting the decision point in an eye pattern).

The reason for this process is that I simply wish to read in the original 2kbps bit stream so that I can use this data to do some PSK modulation in GR etc...but my inputting device only runs at 48kSps.

Is there some way with existing GR blocks that I can tell where abouts in the 48kSps stream that I have actually sampled ? so that I can manually set this sampling point.

Perhaps a simpler question is : how do I know where the "Keep 1 in N" block is sampling ?

Thanks for any hints...hopefully I have explained this adequately.