Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [VOLK] GPU acceleration -> OpenCL integration?

From: Stefan Wunsch
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [VOLK] GPU acceleration -> OpenCL integration?
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 01:10:39 +0100

Hey,

You are completely right, that's the point. The matrix is of the size
1000x1000 and it is faster than the generic implementation above 500x500
(just a rough estimate). Most use-cases in gnuradio do not exploit this
case.

But, if you want to promote VOLK outside the gnuradio context, this
feature is quite unique. As far as I know, the SIMD support of OpenCL is
pretty bad (I talk of the CPU frontend) and VOLK could combine a proper
SIMD use with GPU acceleration.

Nevertheless, I think there are some efficient encoder/decoder
algorithms for GPUs, which could make use of such an integration.

Greetings
Stefan