Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [VOLK] GPU acceleration -> OpenCL integration?

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [VOLK] GPU acceleration -> OpenCL integration?
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2015 15:53:39 -0500

On Sun, Dec 20, 2015 at 5:51 PM, West, Nathan <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Stefan,

First of all I'm really happy to see this done. Using opencl in VOLK has come up once in a while and the general consensus was that transport / granularity of work in VOLK would not make it worth doing in VOLK, but we never knew for sure.

Another wrinkle is where that tradeoff between GPUs and processor work is for each pair of processor and GPU which is impossible to know without some kind of benchmark/wisdom generation. VOLK doesn't have any mechanism for doing that and recording it. It's interesting work if that's what you're looking to do.

From a VOLK perspective if we can build up that wisdom ability and add that ability to a dispatcher it's probably going to be useful, especially for people that are developing some opencl code in a workflow, but don't know for sure where code should run. I think the best way to develop this might be in a VOLK OOT unless you're fine working off a long-lived branch looking at this stuff.

I'm happy to continue discussing this, especially on the list

Nathan

Good points, Nathan. This seems like an interesting direction for VOLK, at least under these circumstances. A wisdom concept might work in general for different sizes of vectors. This could be an add-on to the volk_profile utility to do a full benchmarking.

But I definitely don't want to drop Stefan's work here. Let's figure out the best way to make it available so we don't lose track of it.

Tom