Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] passing USRP source block shared pointer through

From: Martin Braun
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] passing USRP source block shared pointer through SWIG
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 12:50:36 -0700

On 24.03.2015 12:10, Anderson, Douglas J. wrote:
[...]
I actually considered implementing the lo_offset message code myself
and then doing a pull request, but I just couldn't think of a good
way to match the flexibility of a tune_request struct within the
confines of a single pmt message.

Hey Doug, thanks for the feedback. This is exactly the kind of issues I'm interesting in.

I wonder if there's a way for the message interface to accept a
message formatted like this and then construct a tune_request from
it?

As you say, not yet -- but we're still figuring this out, and sending tune requests is indeed very useful.

This whole concept of sending PMT commands is something that we want to get right. I could imagine something like this:

('command', 'arg1', 'arg2', ....)

Then, all tune request arguments would be just in there.

What we have right now for UHD is:

('command', 'arg1' [, 'channel #'])

...which is kind of similar.

Something else I'd like to have in the commands is a timestamp. This would be invalid for tags, but for PMT messages it would be fine.

Maybe we want command dicts? So you can have the command name as a field, and then all the arguments as key/value pairs.... but I want to not rush off and do my own thing there. We already had issues when Tom & I came up with different formats for PMTs between the QT Freq Sink the UHD Source.

Cheers,

command = pmt.make_tuple(
...   pmt.intern("tune_request"), ...   pmt.cons(pmt.intern("freq"),
pmt.from_double(900e6)), ...   pmt.cons(pmt.intern("lo_offset"),
pmt.from_double(5e6)) ...   )

-Doug

________________________________________ From:
address@hidden
address@hidden on
behalf of Martin Braun address@hidden Sent: Monday, March
23, 2015 12:58 PM To: address@hidden Subject: Re:
[Discuss-gnuradio] passing USRP source block shared pointer through
SWIG

You should easily be able to pass a basic_block sptr and then
dynamic-cast it in your block.

What you're trying to do is not recommended procedure, although I
can see how it's necessary at times. Can you tell us what you're
trying to do? We've been working on making the message ports more
useful, which should hopefully take care of most issues.