Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] passing USRP source block shared pointer through

From: Anderson, Douglas J.
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] passing USRP source block shared pointer through SWIG
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 19:10:38 +0000

Hi Martin, sorry for the slow reply, I've been having "fun" with SWIG.

I was able to pass the usrp_source instance into my block after I discovered
that SWIG adds a __deref__ method that exposed the naked pointer, then I just
had my block take "gr::uhd::usrp_source*" type.

>>> u = uhd.usrp_source(device_addr="", stream_args=uhd.stream_args('fc32'))
-- Opening a USRP2/N-Series device...
-- Current recv frame size: 1472 bytes
-- Current send frame size: 1472 bytes
>>> u.__deref__()
<gnuradio.uhd.uhd_swig.usrp_source; proxy of <Swig Object of type
'gr::uhd::usrp_source *' at 0x7f0e0f796660> >

I'm not sure if this is a better or worse way to do things than passing the
basic block sptr and casting.

To answer you question about what I'm trying to do: I'm trying to create a freq
sweeping flowgraph that's as efficient as possible. I have a setup like:

USRP -> controller -> fft -> stats -> etc...

... where controller tunes a center freq, waits for "rx_freq" stream tag,
copies enough samples for the fft, retunes and then drops samples until the
next "rx_freq" tag.

My problem with the usrp_source message interface is that currently you can't
set a persistent LO offset (the code block has yet to be implemented). Even if
it was implemented, I'm guessing you'd still have to send one "freq" command
and one "lo_offset" command, and the freq command currently uses the overloaded
set_center_freq function that spams the terminal with

-- Tune Request: 911.254883 MHz
--   The RF LO does not support the requested frequency:
--     Requested LO Frequency: 911.254883 MHz
--     RF LO Result: 911.257631 MHz
--   Attempted to use the DSP to reach the requested frequency:
--     Desired DSP Frequency: 0.002748 MHz
--     DSP Result: 0.002748 MHz
--   Successfully tuned to 911.254883 MHz

I haven't figured out how to turn that off when you instantiate the the
usrp_source block in a python flow graph and THEN send retune messages from
inside a c++ block... and those messages get very annoying in a sweeping
flowgraph :)

I actually considered implementing the lo_offset message code myself and then
doing a pull request, but I just couldn't think of a good way to match the
flexibility of a tune_request struct within the confines of a single pmt
message.

I wonder if there's a way for the message interface to accept a message
formatted like this and then construct a tune_request from it?

>>> command = pmt.make_tuple(
...   pmt.intern("tune_request"),
...   pmt.cons(pmt.intern("freq"), pmt.from_double(900e6)),
...   pmt.cons(pmt.intern("lo_offset"), pmt.from_double(5e6))
...   )

-Doug