Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Looking for 802.11 MAC & PHY Package

From: Bastian Bloessl
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Looking for 802.11 MAC & PHY Package
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 13:07:17 +0200

Hi,

On 10/10/2014 06:20 PM, Zhang, Jiayi wrote:
Dear Marcus and Bloessl,

Thanks for the reply. I also notice the fully functional gr-ieee802-11
package provide by Bloessl. Previously I thought it's only PHY, but as
Marcus mentioned it also include MAC. It seems to me in the
gr-ieee802-11-master package, the MAC does not run csma. I also find the
gr-ieee802-11-csma package, which is smaller than the master package but
indicate "csma" in name and one of examples.

Sorry, I don't get what you mean with smaller. Are you talking about the file size of the sources? All branches add / parse the MAC header as defined in the standard. So the frame format is OK on all branches. The 'csma' branch implements channel access for broadcast frames.

After checking the Readme
and other pulications from WIME project, I cannot find detail
description regarding the MAC and CSMA function for the package.

It's the one at the top
http://www.ccs-labs.org/bib/bloessl2014timings/

1. Does the csma package should be used with the master package?

No. 'csma' is the name of a branch. You would checkout and use that branch.

2. Does the csma package support multiple nodes in an ad-hoc network?

The CSMA implementation is for broadcast frames only. So depends on what you want to do.

Return to Marcus's advice, do you mean that to realize the MAC (CSMA),
we still need implement FPGA (not the one in USRP?) to handle it in
hardware, no matter we use the software lib, e.g. GRU Radio or Click
Module Router?

To support CSMA functionality you will have to change the FPGA otherwise you will not be able to meet the timing constraints of 802.11. For the broadcast case you only need some small changes. If you want to support ACKS and RTS/CTS you need a lot of functionality on the FPGA. In my opinion this will not happen on a N210, but AFAIK Ettus has a 802.11 implementation for RFNoC (i.e. for the FPGA) which most likely meets all timing constraints.

Best,
Bastian

Many thanks for your help again!

Best regards,