Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Handling Hier Blocks in Build Process

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Handling Hier Blocks in Build Process
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2014 19:25:06 +0200

Hi John,

compiling things while building kind of makes sense ;)
So, yes, this is doable.
In general, you could add the generated python files to the python install_list in the python/CMakeLists.txt, and have a hook in the grc/CMakeLists.txt that generates these, but that would break CMake's compiling-source tree differentiation.

I'd suggest looking at cmake/Modules/GrPython.cmake of your OOT. You could have a function similar to GR_PYTHON_INSTALL that does essentially the same, but instead of just shebanging the python files and adding them to an installation target, it would create python using "grcc -d <builddir>/python <grcfile>" and install that.

The __init__ automatisation was a topic some weeks ago, I don't know in which context, though. Yeah, there are python-magical ways to do that, but they can easily litter module namespaces and cause problem if that produces naming conflicts, which will not even be caught be QA (since that happens pre-install...).

Greetings,
Marcus