Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] ARM QA fails (Was: qa_fft_filter make test failed

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] ARM QA fails (Was: qa_fft_filter make test failed - seg fault)
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 08:39:07 -0500

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 4:06 AM, Martin Braun <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 01/22/2014 02:24 AM, Ken Adams wrote:
>> How can we diagnose make test failures? All tests passed initially, but
>> I had GRC disabled, so I recompiled everything w/ GRC enabled and this
>> test failed.
>
> Ken,
>
> have you read:
> http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/TutorialsDebugging?
>
> Run 'ctest -V -R fft_filter' to activate verbosity and limit the tests
> by a regex.
>
>> Also, is there a way to re-compile just parts of gnuradio, instead of
>> recompiling everything?
>
> The make system will do this for you. If you change a file, it will
> compile only the minimum necessary set.
>
>> 99% of tests past, only qa_fft_filter failed on arm build ubuntu 13.10
>> from source.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> 86: Test command: /bin/sh
>> "/home/ubuntu/gnuradio/build/gr-filter/python/filter/qa_fft_filter_test.sh"
>> 86: Test timeout computed to be: 9.99988e+06
>> 86: Segmentation fault
>> 1/1 Test #86: qa_fft_filter ....................***Failed   17.72 sec
>>
>> 0% tests passed, 1 tests failed out of 1
>
> There currently open issues w/ ARM. I'm not sure this is one of them,
> but VOLK code on ARM is curently heavily under research.
>
>> How should I go about diagnosing these problems? Launch GDB and see
>> whats happening? Strange that this is the only test that failed.
>
> You can do that, but in general, starting with some print statements is
> usually more helpful (use ctest -V). I'd wait until someone from the ARM
> experts has had a look at this.
>
> MB

Also, when reporting bugs, especially on an ARM chip and with things
that might be VOLK related, please tell us the version of GNU Radio
you are using. If you are cloning via git, let us know the current
revision. There's work going on to address issues related to ARM and
VOLK on certain platforms, so that could make a big difference.

Tom