[Discuss-gnuradio] Newbie quesion about building C++ blocks/SWIG/Python

From: Florian Student
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Newbie quesion about building C++ blocks/SWIG/Python
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 18:11:43 +0100 (CET)

Hello experts,

I'm trying to get a DAB receiver project running, found it at this address: http://www.zsn.zhaw.ch/de/engineering/institute-zentren/zsn/projekte/gnu-radio.html

After fighting with it for one day and after resolving multiple issues, I finally got "make" to run without problems.

Now, when I run "make check", this is the error:

make[2]: Entering directory `/root/grc/DAB/python'
/root/grc/DAB/lib:/root/grc/DAB/lib/.libs:/root/grc/DAB/swig:/root/grc/DAB/swig/.libs:/root/grc/DAB/python:/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages:/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./qa_bondcut.py", line 25, in <module>
    import howto_swig
  File "/root/grc/DAB/swig/howto_swig.py", line 26, in <module>
    _howto_swig = swig_import_helper()
  File "/root/grc/DAB/swig/howto_swig.py", line 18, in swig_import_helper
    import _howto_swig
ImportError: /root/grc/DAB/lib/.libs/libgnuradio-howto-3.3.0.so.0: undefined symbol: _ZTI8gr_block

In fact, this also happens for every other .py file that is included in the test.

After a Google search, a few other people showed up, reporting the same error. From the comment section of http://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-tutorial-analyzing-gsm-with-airprobe-and-wireshark/ I give you this snippet:

"I encountered the same error on Kali Linux. The reason is, that the shared object (_gsm.o) doesn’t get correctly linked against gnuradio-core.so, because pkg-config fails during the build. It fails, because gnuradio-core depends on the package “fftw3f” which is installed in binary form, because otherwise gnuradio woulndn’t work, but the -dev package is mising.
Long story short: Install the missing package (apt-get install libfftw3-dev) and rebuild the gsm-receiver. Then it works."

So I tried this, I installed the "libfftw3-dev-3.3.2-3.1 (64 bit)" package using the package manager. (I see that the regular version, "libfftw3-3-3.3.2-3.1" is also installed. Do these versions match, or do I need a newer dev version?)

After "make clean", "configure" and "make", "make check" fails again, with the same error messages.

As my system I'm using the newest version of 64-bit Kali Linux (Debian based), and I'm using GR 3.6.5.1, the version built from the Kali guys. I hope this is recent enough for you to give me some helpful tips.

What do I have to do so that the libaries are correctly linked together? Is it something I have to change in the building process, or at the time the library is used from Python?

I hope you can give me some advice, and want to thank you in advance for your time and attention!

Florian