Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Summary of desires for GRC, just discuss on the #

From: Jared Clements
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Summary of desires for GRC, just discuss on the #ghuradio channel
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 14:56:43 -0600

Slick, I always seem to end up with long linear chains of blocks that need duplication on the page, your grouping mechanism could save me from having to make so many custom hier blocks.

Jared

On Oct 3, 2013 7:55 AM, "Ethan Trewhitt" <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 9:35 AM, Gregory Warnes <address@hidden> wrote:
> I would go with simply either adding a new multi-variable block, or
> modifying the existing one to allow multiple variables.   Don't do any
> 'automatic' variable aggregation.

I agree that it shouldn't be automatic. I was thinking something like:

1. Select a bunch of blocks
2. Choose "create group"
3. A new "group" symbol appears (visually like three rectangles in a
stack, viewed from above)
4. The previously selected blocks are moved "into" the group
5. If you double-click the group, a box is displayed over the current
graph that lets you see its contents.

For the open group, I'm imagining something like a toolbox-style box
that can be dragged around the graph (and left open), complete with a
little grey title bar and a minimize button that restores it to its
"icon" state. That way you can leave it open and work with it until
you're done, then minimize it to its icon form when you've finished
working with its contents.

I can only imagine this making sense for blocks that don't need any
I/O - or even perhaps for blocks that only have connections among each
other. Visually showing connections going into or out of a group might
be tricky.

Ethan