Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] WX GUI FFT Sink Performance

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] WX GUI FFT Sink Performance
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 13:48:01 -0400

On 05/16/2013 01:36 PM, Mark McCarron wrote:
Marcus,

Accurate output is great when doing analysis, but if you just want to create a quick interface that will allow you to see a little more detail, then overlapping or duplicating the stream is fine.  The error in the output is always within a given tolerance and that can be suitable for a lot of applications.  By no means am I suggesting to eliminate the accurate GUI elements, just that an alternative should be offered.

I tested your sample and that works fine on my machine.  I have updated it to a refresh rate of 30 and this is when it becomes unresponsive.  I ran perfmon and the resources seem fine, but I do see a massive spike in page faults and transition faults when executing a flow graph.  That, in itself may not be an issues, but I have checked all the usual bottlenecks and they are barely being touched.  I'm running the latest Windows build of this on a quad core Win2012 server with 16GB ram.

It seems like a bug in the build.

Regards,

Mark McCarron
More likely a bug in the Windows wxGUI implementation, which is known to have lots of flaws.

I assumed you were running this on Linux, which is the primary development platform for Gnu Radio.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator