Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Bins smaller than pixels. was: WX GUI FFT Sink Pe

From: John Ackermann N8UR
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Bins smaller than pixels. was: WX GUI FFT Sink Performance
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 13:36:19 -0400

On 5/28/2013 1:28 PM, Simon IJskes wrote:
On 17-05-13 02:22, Marcus D. Leech wrote:

Again, given the fact that your display geometry is likely less than
1280 wide, you'll simply lose information for FFTs larger than that.

I one is looking for weak CW signals, in a waterfall, wouldn't a wide
bin, make this signal invisible in among the noise? If more bins fit in
one pixel, there could be a mode where the bin with the most power is
displayed. If this is complete non-sense, how would you implement
looking for faint cw carriers, in like EME applications?

Take a look at the "rosenfell" or "normal" detector used in spectrum analyzers -- I think it's a way to deal with this question. There's a good discussion in the Agilent spectrum analysis basics app note:
http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5952-0292.pdf

John