Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Issues estimating the BER of a 16-QAM modulation

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Issues estimating the BER of a 16-QAM modulation (and of M-QAM of course)
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 23:24:54 -0400

> No, there isn't....sorry :(. I really need that constellation(s) because all
> of my work is based on custom sets of points precisely calculated by
> following Haykin's theory in his book. This affects ASK modulations as
> well......the functionality of my thesis research is now almost halved since
> now i can get coherent results only with PSK modulations. I can't scale the
> average amplitude to 1.0 beacuse it will affect my AWGN channel model
> too....
>
> I am really begging Tom and the others to re-introduce the previous version
> constellation_decoder_cb, maybe as a deprecated one because i really need
> it.
>
> I am for sure not blaming you since yours is a very brilliant approach to
> build and handle constellations as well. In fact, for this very reason, I
> was asking Tom if I would be able to build the old block again with
> gr-how-to-make-a-block 3.6.4.1 by using the .h .cc and .i files from an old
> tarball.
>
> If you come up with a solution please tell me. Until now you have been a
> really valuable resource to me ;)
>
> Regards again,
>
>                     Arturo

Hi Arturo,

No, we're not going to re-add this old version of the code back in.

What I would recommend you do is create your own out-of-tree module,
using gr_modtool, and make your own version of this block. You can
just set up the block using gr_modtool and then copy and paste the
code you need from your constellation_decoder you are asking about.
One of the keep capabilities of GNU Radio is enabling building and
using your own library of blocks and not needing everything to be
straight from the standard GNU Radio tree.

Tom