Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Help on choice of daughter board for 40-50MHz exp

From: mleech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Help on choice of daughter board for 40-50MHz experiments
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 11:52:59 -0400

On 10 Oct 2012 11:40, Baidoo-Williams, Henry E wrote:

Hello ,

Thanks a lot Marcus and Matt. Marcus, can you please share the schematics of your custom filter board with distributed gain and filtering? That will be of much help and we can easily incorporate it knowing there are no bugs. And can you help us with the antenna you are using? I called ettus and they don't have any antenna to go with the basix RX/TX and they have no recommendations also. Can anyone help.

Respectfully,
H. E. Baidoo-Williams,
GRA, University of Iowa

I can't share the schematics, it was part of a contract I did for a scientific instrument company.

I used a cross-dipole antenna designed for the frequency range of interest, and designed to project a largely-circular pattern on the sky overhead.

The type of antenna you need depends heavily on your application, and there are a *lot* of antenna companies out there that can meet various needs.   The antenna we used was custom-built.

You might look at the research done by these folks, and the low-frequency radio astronomy folks in general:  http://www.ece.vt.edu/swe/eta/

But, it really depends on your application.

Cushcrafts makes a "Ringo Ranger" antenna -- there's a 6-meter and 10-meter version, and they can both be tuned fairly widely -- I used a 6M Ringo Ranger for meteor studies earlier this year, re-tuned it for TV channel 4.