Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] PCI Express SDR Cards and GNU Radio

From: Ryan Connelly
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] PCI Express SDR Cards and GNU Radio
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 09:34:04 -0400

There are a few companies that do business in data acquisition and DSP
hardware (slap a RF front end and antenna in front of these and you
got a SDR) that offer many, many form factor (i.e. PCIe) for all kinds
of applications. Unfortunately they are not playing well with the GNU
Radio environment as far as I know. The supporting software
environment will quickly exceed any budget you have in mind.

Here is the biggest ones I have in mind if you are still interested:
http://www.innovative-dsp.com/
http://www.pentek.com/
http://www.spectrumsignal.com/

Processing wise, they are all using the FPGA much more than your
typical Ettus USRP. This involves Simulink (3000$), HDL Coder (10000$)
and Xilinx System Generator (5000$) packages that will set you back
quite a bit but allow rapid implementation of all your DSP needs
(effectively replacing GNU Radio) right on the FPGA. Aside from that
on the software side each company offers their own custom supporting
software libraries and drivers although I am sure you can hook to
MATLAB and Simulink too somehow.

So I don't think this is what you need if you're looking for a cost
efficient platform that supports free software but there is indeed
many PCIe SDR platforms that exist out there worth mentioning. Your
best bet is that maybe someday Ettus Research will have a product with
PCIe form factor.. I wouldn't count on that anytime soon though.