Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] installing GR 3.5.2 on FreeBSD

From: mleech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] installing GR 3.5.2 on FreeBSD
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 12:23:43 -0500

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 10:04:06 -0600, LRK wrote:

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 10:36:31AM -0500, address@hidden wrote:

I've made it a habit to always be explicit about which device (or
device class, at least) I'm going for when I use UHD tools.

So, I
*always* either specify "--args type=usrp1" or --args
"addr=192.168.10.2" to UHD tools, so that I don't have to rely on
autodiscovery stuff that might produce weird results. I kind of *have*
to on one of my systems, because I have both a USRP1 and USRP2 on the
same system.

It is probably a good habit but, with a computer, the program should be
able to determine if there is only one device and use it. Programs need
reasonable defaults as well.

Well, while in general I agree, the whole concept of "it's a computer, it should just guess what I meant, and do the least astonishing thing", is generally, in my long experience,
fraught with danger. UHD *might* be able to determine which devices you have connected via USB, and perhaps connect you to the "most obvious one", but otherwise, it needs *some* kind of hint about what you had in mind (hence the "type=usrp1" hint).

"All I want to do is write some code, this whole *formal syntax* and curly-braces thing is for the birds".

 Not too relavant as long as things work. I think my Ubuntu build is doing the same things since I often have to execute a program twice after moving the USRP1 from the other machine.

That's an interesting observation that I'll have to see if I can reproduce on my Fedora machines. May be that the FX2 gets all chummy with the USB bus its connected to, and when you just pull the USB plug without actually power-cycling the USRP1, it can't cope.
I don't use C++ either (same reason). I feed some GnuRadio bits into a C program to analyze since I can't get time to write GnuRadio blocks. Always better to do programing while awake. :)
I dunno, yesterday at my day job, I was a complete sleep-deprived zombie. And yet I wrote a pile of fiendishly-clever code that worked the first time. I'm not sure I'll understand
a week from now, how it works :-)