Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] installing GR 3.5.2 on FreeBSD

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] installing GR 3.5.2 on FreeBSD
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 14:10:46 -0500

On 01/17/2012 12:23 PM, address@hidden wrote:

  Not too relavant as long as things work. I think my Ubuntu build is doing
the same things since I often have to execute a program twice after moving
the USRP1 from the other machine.

That's an interesting observation that I'll have to see if I can reproduce on
my Fedora machines.  May be that the FX2 gets all chummy with the USB bus its
connected to, and when you just pull the USB plug without actually
power-cycling the USRP1, it can't cope.

Just did that test. Latest Gnu Radio + UHD, two different Fedora 16-64bit machines, two different mobo (and USB controller) types, CPUs, etc.

Plugged just-powered-up USRP1 into one machine, did a:

uhd_fft.py --args type=usrp1 on one machine. It loaded firmware and FPGA, and then brought up the app.

Unplugged it, plugged it into second machine, ran:

uhd_fft.py --args type=usrp1 it came up without re-loading either firmware or FPGA.

Plugged it back into the first machine--ran:

uhd_fft.py --args type=usrp1 it came up without re-loading firmware or FPGA.

So, the way it works is that it compares the hash on the device to the hash contained in the appropriate .ihx/.rbf file on the host computer. If they differ, it reloads. I wonder if the hashes of the .ihx/.rbf files differ between your two machines?

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator