Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Write registers on USRP2 FPGA

From: Eduardo Lloret Fuentes
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Write registers on USRP2 FPGA
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 14:35:30 +0100

Hello,

Thanks for the info about those methods, they seem to be very useful for me.

You were right, what I am trying to write are the FPGA registers. But I mean the registers of my own design. I added a module into the u2_rev3.v file and I would like to modify the value of some registers of this design. I only mentioned I2C and SPI standards because I thought they were usually used to modify the registers values.

Now, another question comes to my mind. How could I get the 32-bit aligned address of a register from the verilog code?

A lot of thanks for your help and time.

Edu.

2011/3/17 Nick Foster <address@hidden>
On Thu, 2011-03-17 at 14:10 +0100, Eduardo Lloret Fuentes wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I was successful trying to add my own FPGA code into the original FPGA
> project. I just added a module into the u2_rev3.v and bypass the DSP
> pipeline. So, all the original FPGA code is there and the firmware is
> running. Now, I would like to modify some registers of my own FPGA
> design. Maybe using the I2C or the SPI standards already implemented
> via ethernet.
>
> I read that for the USRP there is a command, "usrper i2c_write
> i2c_addr <hex-string>" that can be used to modify some existing
> registers.
>
> Is there anything similar for USRP2?
>
> Is there any other way to modify an existing register (from the
> original code) or a custom register (from my own code) via ethernet?

There are peek32 and poke32, which are both methods in the USRP2 lib and
are brought out to the Python interface. These allow you to read and
write to FPGA registers. I assume you're not really trying to write I2C
or SPI, but to write to FPGA registers -- if you want to access the I2C
or SPI buses, you'll have to either modify the USRP2 firmware or use UHD
and write some custom code.

--n