Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Yet another kick at the cheap-hardware can

From: Moeller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Yet another kick at the cheap-hardware can
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 23:07:45 +0100

On 20.01.2011 16:16, William Cox wrote:
> I don't know if this is kosher, but has anyone looked at the (vast array of)
> offerings from Comblocks (comblock.com <http://comblock.com>)? They sell
> FPGA IP cores for all of their hardware, and it seems like it might be a good
> match for building a basic I/Q acquisition system. Here's a full product
> list: http://comblock.com/product_list.html

Not really.
Open Projects like GNU need open IP like in:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenCores

There is Ethernet controller code (up to GBit/s), USB2 code,
OpenRISC, PIC, Microcontrollers etc.

The DSP section has special signal processing blocks,
like this project of a hardware FFT processor:
http://opencores.org/project,pipelined_fft_128
What about a Gnuradio emitting FFT samples instead of time domain samples,
for applications like spectrum analyzers or cognitive radio monitoring modes?

Gnuradio would be a good software/hardware platform for further development
of OpenCores. I like the idea. The SDR section is still empty
http://opencores.org/project,software_defined_radio
Why not contributing SDR code to OpenCores?

Btw, USRP2 is also using OpenCores verilog code in the FPGA directory.