Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GRC with two URSP2+DBSRX and UHD

From: bobb
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GRC with two URSP2+DBSRX and UHD
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 08:14:32 +0000

Thomas,

  There is no code that I am  aware of that currently does what you want (i.e.,
sync the U2's *and* conveys data from both devices), however, I believe it is
currently being worked on, however I'm willing to be corrected on this.

  As I said, sync'ing 2 devices to a single PPS signal is pretty
straightforward, however I think you're looking for more than that.

  Using the "raw" enet drivers the code is essentially...

     usrp2::usrp2::sptr u2 = usrp2::usrp2::make(dev, "");// dev = device path
(e.g., "eth1")
     u2->config_mimo(mode);
     // mode = (usrp2::MC_WE_DONT_LOCK + usrp2::MC_PROVIDE_CLK_TO_MIMO) //
drive clock to cable
                      | (usrp2::MC_WE_LOCK_TO_MIMO) // lock for reference from
cable
                      | (usrp2::MC_WE_LOCK_TO_SMA) // lock to reference
provided by front panel

  You need to "do the right thing" on both ends of the cable.

  For UHD (which we're currently transitioning and am still getting up to speed
with), I believe the equivalent code would be something like:

    uhd::usrp::simple_usrp::sptr u2 = uhd::usrp::simple_usrp::make(dev);
    clock_config_t mode;
    mode.ref_source = { REF_AUTO | REF_INT = 'i' | REF_SMA = 's' | REF_MIMO =
'm' }l
    mode.pps_source = { PPS_INT | PPS_SMA | PPS_MIMO};
    mode.pps_polarity = { PPS_NEG | PPS_POS};
    u2->set_clock_config(mode);

  As I said, I think what you're actually looking for (clock/pps sync & data
over the MIMO cable is "in the works", but I could be mistaken).

  Obviously syncing more than 2 usrps requires additional hardware (since
without additional hardware you can only connect 2 usrps together).

  Hope this helps,

  --Bob