Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Why does general_work return large number?

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Why does general_work return large number?
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 12:12:23 -0700

On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 11:57:24AM +0100, Zohair M. Abu Shaban wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> I have read what you recommended but still haven't understood what
> the significance of this number is. I have another block that
> generates a vector of 4 elements and the noutput_items is almost 1/4
> the number of first block. Any further help please?
>
> Thanks again,
> Zohair

The numbers are choosen by the GNU Radio runtime system.  They may
vary over time and are dependent on the amount of buffer space
allocated by the runtime and the rates of production upstream and
consumption downstream.  The values are choosen by a heuristic
designed to optimized throughput.

If your block is properly written, it will respond appropriately to
any value of noutput_items.

I'm not sure that I've answered your real question.  I suspect that
you may be somewhat unclear about the nature of the streaming data
flow model that's used in GNU Radio.

Eric