Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] iir filter in spectrum analyzer

From: adib_sairi
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] iir filter in spectrum analyzer
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 03:59:27 -0700 (PDT)

Marcus D. Leech wrote:

> It averages the values in each of the bins.
>
> If your FFT is 1024 wide, then you essentially have 1024 single-pole IIR
> filters, each computing the
>   low-pass filtered version of the individual bins.  This is called (at
> by me) spectral averaging.
>   There will always be a certain amount of "noise" in spectral
> estimates, and for weak signals,
>   averaging can bring out spectral features that would otherwise be
> hidden by the randomness
>   of the noise floor.
>
> --
> Principal Investigator
> Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium
> http://www.sbrac.org

so it is a filter to filter the noise at the noise floor level am i correct?
but there is also a windowing in the flow graph.. I think this windowing is
also used for the filtering the noise including noise in the noise floor
level (please fix me). if not, may i know what is the usage of this window
and what is the different between this window and the iir filter used in
this flowgraph?

-----
Mohd Adib Sarijari
Universiti Teknologi Malaysia