[Discuss-gnuradio] Re: WBX hardware problem

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: WBX hardware problem
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 23:42:53 -0700

On 06/05/2010 02:53 AM, address@hidden wrote:
Dear Matt,

I have a hardware failure in the RX part of WBX: I wanted to use USRP/WBX to
check the output of some LNA antenna amplifier, but presumably it was
oscillating
due to some defect and generated too much power to be bearable by the RX
circuits of WBX.

Now, the receiving in principle works, but with>=40 dB attenuation both
on the RX/TX and RX2 inputs of WBX.
Transmitting works fine, so I guess the RF switches are not affected and the
problem might most probably be a burned MGA-6x563 LNA on the
granddaughterboard,
in the worse case some other RF component on the main WBX board.

May I have a few questions:
1. is there a simple possibility to make sure the problem is localized on
the granddaughterboard only?
(e.g. connecting an antenna directly to the (from factory empty) SMA socket
on the main WBX board)?

Maybe.  You can try it and see.

2. If so, would it be possible to order just replacement granddaughterboard?

Yes.  If you just need a gdb, contact me offline.

3. In the schematics the LNA on granddaughterboard is denoted MGA6x563.
    Does it mean it does not matter exactly which one is used and Agilent
MGA-61563
    would be a good replacement?

It is a 62563, not a 61563, and it should be commonly available.

Matt