Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] New server and software at gnuradio.org

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] New server and software at gnuradio.org
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 10:48:09 -0800

On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 01:54:17AM -0800, Firas Abbas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > From: Eric Blossom <address@hidden>
> >
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > I've just cut us over to a new server running git and redmine instead
> > of trac and subversion.
> >
> > Eric
>
> Thank you for your and Johnathan and Matt efforts to run this project.

You're welcome.  For the record, Johnathan gets credit for the bulk of
the work :-)

> The problem (from my point of view) in git is that we lost the
> meaning of revision number. In past (with subversion), the gnuradio
> revision number can (some how) point to the development process so
> we know that some gnuradio developed projects can work without
> problems with a specific gnuradio revision number (for example as do
> some projects in CGRAN). Even some, revision numbers can be
> remembered (I remember rev 10165 for example) because there were
> major changes in gnuradio project.

We'll still tag releases with an x.y.z version number, so all is not lost.

> Now when I see a gnuradio revision with random hexadecimal number
> (is it really random?),

  It's actually a portion of the hash of changeset that it refers to.

> I totally miss the days of subversion!!.

Git really frees up our ability to branch and merge compared to what
is possible with svn.  It's also an inherently distributed system.
The fact that it's distributed makes the idea of a central counter of
revision nearly impossible to implement.

To get a handle on what's going on, clone the repository (if you
haven't already), then run "qgit" or one of the other git viewers on
it.  It will show you all of the branching and merging, diffs, etc.

> Best Regards,
> Firas

Thanks Firas!
Eric