[Discuss-gnuradio] New server and software at gnuradio.org

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] New server and software at gnuradio.org
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 13:54:43 -0800

Hi Folks,

I've just cut us over to a new server running git and redmine instead
of trac and subversion.  The DNS changes could take as long as 1 week
to propagate.  In the meanwhile, this link unambiguously gets you to
the new server:

  http://vps.gnuradio.org

To get to the trac installation on old server:
(While it lasts.  Don't add any new code or content here)

  http://nyquist.gnuradio.org/trac

When all the DNS dust settles, gnuradio.org will point to the new server.

All development is now taking place using git.  All code that was in
subversion (with a few exceptions that we know about) have been in git
for a couple of months.  The exceptions that we're aware of and will
work with the right people to get resolved are:

  Eric Schneiders's ets/inband developer branch
  The OpenBTS subversion code

We're running "redmine" 0.8.7 on the new server.  It serves the same
purposes as trac (wiki, project management, etc, etc), but supports
git as well as some other repo formats.  The 0.8.7 version we're
currently running is missing a few features that trac has.  However,
the 0.9 version (which is down to 1 bug left to fix) should give us
everything we need, including the ability to browse git branches.

One thing to note about "redmine":  It is designed to support multiple
projects under a single installation.  If you get confused as to where
you are, click on the "Jump to a project" link, and select "GNU Radio"

You can use "cgit" to browse the git repositories:

  http://vps.gnuradio.org/cgit

All static content such as the releases, videos, etc has been moved to
the new server and appears in the same location as it had before:

  http://vps.gnuradio.org/releases
  http://vps.gnuradio.org/video

All of the information in trac, including tickets and wiki
content has been automatically imported into redmine.  We haven't lost
any information, though the conversion of the wiki pages isn't
perfect.  Many of them will need a bit of touch up.  _You_ can help
with this by either creating your own account on redmine or using the
guest login with password gnuradio.

To grab the latest GNU Radio development code use either:

  $ git clone git://vps.gnuradio.org/gnuradio  (fastest way)

or

  $ git clone http://vps.gnuradio.org/git/gnuradio.git (works through more
firewalls)

When you want to grab any updates, use

  $ git pull

Developers/Committers: more info coming soon on the git workflow, etc.

Eric