Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Boost 1.40 won't build on OSX 10.6

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Boost 1.40 won't build on OSX 10.6
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 09:06:32 -0800

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 10:12:35AM -0500, Michael Dickens wrote:
> Hi Ed - The 3.2.2 release cannot easily be made to be fully working on
> OSX 10.6, but the complexity depends mostly on whether your computer's
> CPU is 32- or 64-bit.
>
> * If your computer's CPU is 32-bit then I think all components except
> gr-audio-osx should compile & execute without change.  You might need to
> specify "--with-md-cpu=i386" to force the use of the correct FIR filter
> code (I don't have a 32-bit CPU to test this on).
>
> * If your computer's CPU is 64-bit, then you have 3 primary choices to
> get GNU Radio going (at all) on 10.6:
>
> 1) If you insist on using GNU Radio 3.2.2, then you'll want to limit
> compilation to just 32-bit mode by setting the CFLAGS (et.al.) to
> include "-arch i386" (I think) -- and do without native audio support
> (gr-audio-osx; audio issues are fixed in the GIT master, so you can
> always diff those files & make the mods to the 3.2.2 release & hope for
> the best); or
>
> 2) Move to the GIT master, and limit compilation to just 32-bit mode --
> and you should get full GNU Radio functionality (assuming you can get all
> of the background dependencies installed, e.g., via MacPorts).
>
> 3) Move to the GIT master, do 64-bit compilation -- and do with a GUI.
>
> The GIT master has been updated to allow for 32- or 64-bit compiling on
> OSX, and should support 10.4, 10.5, and 10.6 -- except the GUI won't work
> under x86_64 yet (64-bit, any supported OS version; it's a wxpython
> issue, and the wx folks are working on full 64-bit OSX support for the
> next [2.9.0] release).  The current wxgui should work on i386 (32-bit,
> any supported OS version).
>
> I hope this isn't too confusing!  Ask more if this doesn't help enough. -

I'm confused!

Michael, can you help me understand what the problems are, and what,
if anything, we can do on the GNU Radio side to resolve them?  It
sounds like some of these problems may have more to do with
external dependencies than with GNU Radio itself.

The guts of GNU Radio definitely run on x86 and x86-64, so I'm not
sure what the "64-bit issue" is on OS/X.  Last I checked, we ran on
64-bit PPC on Fedora too.

Thanks!
Eric