Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Boost 1.40 won't build on OSX 10.6

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Boost 1.40 won't build on OSX 10.6
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 10:12:35 -0500

Hi Ed - The 3.2.2 release cannot easily be made to be fully working on OSX 10.6, but the complexity depends mostly on whether your computer's CPU is 32- or 64-bit.

* If your computer's CPU is 32-bit then I think all components except gr-audio-osx should compile & execute without change. You might need to specify "--with-md-cpu=i386" to force the use of the correct FIR filter code (I don't have a 32-bit CPU to test this on).

* If your computer's CPU is 64-bit, then you have 3 primary choices to get GNU Radio going (at all) on 10.6:

1) If you insist on using GNU Radio 3.2.2, then you'll want to limit compilation to just 32-bit mode by setting the CFLAGS (et.al.) to include "-arch i386" (I think) -- and do without native audio support (gr-audio-osx; audio issues are fixed in the GIT master, so you can always diff those files & make the mods to the 3.2.2 release & hope for the best); or

2) Move to the GIT master, and limit compilation to just 32-bit mode -- and you should get full GNU Radio functionality (assuming you can get all of the background dependencies installed, e.g., via MacPorts).

3) Move to the GIT master, do 64-bit compilation -- and do with a GUI.

The GIT master has been updated to allow for 32- or 64-bit compiling on OSX, and should support 10.4, 10.5, and 10.6 -- except the GUI won't work under x86_64 yet (64-bit, any supported OS version; it's a wxpython issue, and the wx folks are working on full 64-bit OSX support for the next [2.9.0] release). The current wxgui should work on i386 (32-bit, any supported OS version).

I hope this isn't too confusing! Ask more if this doesn't help enough. - MLD