Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP2 spontaneously dies while transmitting

From: Andrew Lutomirski
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP2 spontaneously dies while transmitting
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 19:44:21 -0400

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 6:05 PM, Eric Blossom<address@hidden> wrote:

> You're running it through a switch.  We tell you not to do that.
> Your switch is probably declining to be flow controlled by the USRP2,
> hence there's no back pressure being applied to the host, thus the
> unbounded amount of data sent from the host.
>
> Rule 1: Don't connect your USRP2 via a switch
>
> Rule 2: If you think you know what you're doing and understand the ins
>        and outs of ethernet PAUSE frames and asymmetric flow control,
>        and can get your switch to accept flow control from the USRP,
>        then it _may_ be possible to make it work through a switch.
>
> Rule 3: See Rule 1.

Would you accept a patch to error out on send if sustained data rates
more than, say, 150% of what they should be are seen?

Also, I fully expect (and don't mind) some drops due to running
through a switch.  I'm only running this thing when the network is
otherwise nearly idle and even then I'm at high interpolation.  It
still seems buggy that the USRP2 crashes as a result.

Is the USRP2 ethernet protocol documented somewhere?  Quick googling
didn't find it.

--Andy